THE BENEFITS OF RECYCLING
Did you know that YOU, as an individual, CAN make a difference in the world!?
Currently the environment has so many complex problems that many people think they can’t possibly have an effect on them as an individual. Problems like global warming, hazardous waste, loss of rain forests, endangered species, acid rain, the ozone layer, to mention a few may seem like those situations are out of our control. But, there are ways to help, even as just one person, and then another person will join in and if each person would realize they CAN make a difference it’d make a WORLDY difference!
· Natural Resources
· Saves Energy
· Saves our Environment
Small Ways to Make Big Changes:
- Use recycled products (paper, containers and more)
- Buy products in reusable containers such as glass jars and sturdy plastic dairy tubs. Reuse these containers when storing bulk foods, or leftovers, whatever you can think of. Kids crayons, small toys go great in plastic tubs.
- Use cloth napkins, towels, rags and diapers.
- Reuse plastic containers, coffee cans and glass jars for storage of pencils, crayons and other household and work items.
- Use BOTH sides of writing paper before recycling it.
- Reuse envelopes and file folders.
- Share your magazines with a friend, community group or doctor’s office before recycling them. OR better yet, read them ONLINE!
- Bring unwanted clothing and furniture to a thrift shop–Donate used toys, blankets, clothing and silverware to day care centers, local charities or community groups. OR check online at www.freecycle.org where you can give away your items or find items you may need there that others are giving away!
Reusing Items Can:
- Saves you money –Reusable items cost less in the long run because they are not replaced as often as disposable items.
- Saves landfill space
- Saves natural resources
- Decreases the amount of pollution created and save natural resources, such as trees, crude oil and natural gas.